In the beginning, the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God. He existed in the beginning with God. God created everything through Him, and nothing was created except through Him. The Word gave life to everything that was created, and His life brought light to everyone. The light shines in darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it. John 1:1-5
John wrote about the majesty and divine nature of our Savior, Jesus Christ, in a profound way. John said that Christ, in his divine essence, is the Word of the eternal Father. If the Word existed from the beginning before anything was created, then it must follow that this Word is God. Whatever held its existence before the creation of the world must be God, because only the Creator can exist separate from creation. Everything that exists is either Creator or creation – either God or creature. Through John, the Holy Spirit stated that “in the beginning was the Word” and “without him nothing was made that has been made.” For this reason, we can never think of the Word as something created. The Word is eternal. No one can deny or disprove the conclusion that this Word is God.
These verses contain, as J.C. Ryle said, “A statement of matchless sublimity concerning the divine nature of our Lord Jesus Christ.” For what see in these verses is the John making good on his aim that readers know Jesus Christ is the Son of God. The main point of this text is to show us that Jesus is God. He does this by giving his readers five specific truths concerning Christ:
1. Jesus is eternal – In the beginning was the Word. To be eternal is to exist beyond the bounds of time and reign as Lord over time. Jesus is from everlasting to everlasting.
2. Jesus is personal – The Word was with God. Jesus didn’t merely co-exist with God, but He had an active and intimate relationship with the Father from all eternity.
3. Jesus is God – The Word was God. Jesus is not merely like God; He is not merely similar to God; nor is He just an adopted Son of God; Jesus is God.
4. Jesus is the Creator – All things were made through him. All things – big and small, visible and invisible – were created through Christ Jesus and they would soon fall asunder if Christ does not uphold them by His powerful Word.
5. Jesus is the Source – In him was life. All physical and spiritual life flows from Christ alone.
Jesus Christ is the eternal and personal God, who is the creator and source of life and light. In short, the Word is worthy of worship.